banner

banner

Thursday, December 18, 2014

ad initium

I’m soooo excited, I hereby present to you my first ever commissioned work





This was the briefing I got:
A book bounded with O-rings, 
size A4 (21 x 29.7cm), 
with some pockets 
and lots of space to write in.


As this book will go to a Latin teacher, I thought it appropriate to use a stamp of an old parchment roll, which I scanned into my computer and enlarged to fit an A4.
I printed a second page, cut it in half and glued it on 3 sides, leaving the top open to create a pocket.





I used 5 such pages with in between 10 plain white pages.






On the cover I glued torn pieces of an old dictionary (unfortunately I couldn’t find my old Latin dictionary) which I colored with some antique linen distress stain. I stamped a border stamp on top of the border I created with walnut stain distress stain. Did some more stamping and heat embossing with a stamp set I acquired only last week. And some gems in the corner to finish it all of.







On the inside covers I glued some patterned paper I acquired from Emphemera ‘s vintage garden. I had to glue 2 pieces together and didn’t like the seam, so I added some cut out butterflies, perfect as my signature.  I also made some pockets on the inside covers.








Then all that was left to do was to bind the book, of course there it went wrong with the back cover. First I had punched the holes on the wrong side, ok maybe I can fix that with a ribbon, but then I managed to start punching at the wrong end on the other side so the back was now beyond saving. I started afresh and paid extra attention on the punching for the binding.
The customer was satisfied, even that much that she asked for another book. 






4 comments: