Sunday, August 25, 2013

Gelli print journal

For my first attempt in binding a book I found the perfect project on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2foQmgenyg&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLc7cFqy5Btdmj6sUyR2UKxqzurbcsAuz9 ; a journal from gelli plate prints by Christy Sobolewski. Perfect to use up some of the prints that are rapidly piling up, because did I already mention that printing on a gelli plate is very addictive?! 

I took 12 prints, cut them to size and folded them in signatures (= a group of folded pages that nest, one inside the other). I didn’t put too much thought in the order of the pages, it’s rather random. So I have 3 signatures in my book, each containing 4 pages. The cover I made using a pizza box, the hinge is the original width of the box. The cover is decorated also using the gelli plate. 




After all that was done I could prepare to stitch the book together. I took 3 points evenly spaced on each signature and on the cover and punched holes in them. I do not own any bookmaking tools yet, so I made use of what I already have and in this case it was a needle for parchment. Also I don’t have special bookbinding thread, so I used regular black stitching thread.  I should have waxed the thread with beeswax but still need to run out and get some or order some online because where I live there aren’t really any good craft supplies stores. For the sewing I refer to the video.




As this was my first attempt in binding a book, it is not flawless (but heay, that’s part of the sharm some might say). The pages weren’t cut perfectly, the sewing is a bit loose and I managed to put the journal together the wrong way around, so normally I planned that the flap on the cover would go from back to front but now it is the other way around. Maybe I’ll keep it or maybe I just cut it off (because also it’s not that sturdy and I think it might tear). Funny enough Christy encountered also a problem with the order of her book in her video.

I plan to use this journal to practice my doodling, can anyone recommend a good book about doodling?

I also will be linking this post to August's colorful gelli print party from Carolyn Dube.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing journal! So full of color! Thanks for sharing with the party!

    ReplyDelete